Wednesday, May 16, 2012


Well, after a Winter of pretty much Springtime weather, about which I've heard few complaints from anyone, seems we're getting into our Colorado Summertime!  Several times it's already been in the 80s.  And thankfully, we've had a fair amount of rainfall several times, which I know everyone has been praying for.  In fact, here in Manitou Springs, every Thursday through the Summer, the Drum Circle meets in Memorial Park.  To my knowledge, they usually played from May until October or November, depending on weather; so it was no surprise to me that they began earlier this year in April as the weather's been so beautiful for so long.  A couple of weeks ago, my mother and I sat out on our little front porch that particular Thursday listening to the drums playing well into the dark hours of the evening.  Our little apartment is located directly across the street from the park.  It had been so dry for several weeks prior to that Thursday, I made the comment to my mother, "Maybe their doing a rain dance!"  Well, lo and behold, that very night, around 1:30-2:00 in the morning, a great thunderstorm rolled in; and we had a wonderful, appreciable rainfall through the night.  The next morning, everything looked so fresh and clean; and the brightness of the green of the trees and bushes was outstanding!  Everyone I talked to that day made comments about the wonderful thunderstorm that night, and I said, "I could almost hear all the 'Amens' being whispered in the middle of the night!"

Since that night, we had two or three consecutive days this past Mother's Day weekend of a nice, steady, very Springlike drizzle.  The temperatures were decidedly cooler; but by Monday, the warm weather returned.  My mother and I sat out on the front porch Monday afternoon for a while and were admiring the array of different shades of green surrounding us here in the foothills around Manitou!  It's breathtaking!  

And I have to mention the lilacs!  Everyone both here in Manitou and in Colorado Springs seems to love planting lilac bushes!  They abound everywhere you look.  When my mother and I or just I, myself, have been sitting outside on our little front porch, or taking a stroll around the park, the scent of the lilacs permeates the air around us!  One doesn't even have to walk up to the bush itself in order to take in the aroma; however, I often spot a person here and there taking the time to "stop and smell the lilacs"!  Several times one person or another has broken off a branch or two to take along with them, hopefully to present to a loved one somewhere!  One young fellow on a bicycle carefully broke off several small branches and tucked them into the front of his shirt.  I'm sure the rest of his bike ride was more enjoyable for it! 

And, yet, there's always so much to do, so much going on in our lives - medical appointments to keep, bills to pay ("borrowing" from Peter to pay Paul!), grocery shopping, services and information to follow up on, laundry, three meals a day, dishes (we don't have a dishwasher at this time).  My 91-year old mother, soon to be 92 next month, requires assistance for most everything; and as her "official" Caregiver, sometimes I feel that there's not enough time in a day to accomplish all that needs to be done, let alone something I just might want to do.  

That's why I'm sitting here at 11 o'clock at night writing on my blog!  

There is The Pikes Peak Area Agency on Aging (PPAAA), located in Colorado Springs, that has been most helpful in providing me with information about Senior services in the El Paso County area.  They are located at 14 S. Chestnut, Colorado Springs, 80905; and the main phone number is (719) 471-2096.  The Director is Kent Matthews, and he has referred me to numerous persons or departments to help with Caregiver services.  

Either through the PPAAA or through other agencies, such as Pillar, there are classes offered to assist Caregivers in learning better ways to care for their loved ones or helpful techniques in caring for oneself.  It's so easy to get "burned out", as they say.  I'm relatively new at this responsibility, but I can see that if one doesn't take the time to take care of one's own needs, too, it's not too long before it takes a toll, whether it's on one's own health or mental or emotional well being.  

I'll be trying to share some of the dates and locations of some of the classes being offered over the coming months.  Hopefully, I'll meet some of you there!  
Thanks for reading "me"!  

 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment